Monday, December 07, 2009

Addiction

Lately, I have been attending a lot of training sessions. No, not because I am interested in them, but we have to complete 40 hrs of training in a financial year to make things fall in the right places(this is what I guess). The trainings range from technical, behavioral, project specific to latest technologies and so on. And I always thought that technical trainings are boring to attend.

But I was proved wrong by my behavior last week when I was attending a non-technical training on how could be make this world green by being in IT. I had concepts like carbon footprints and all in my mind when I entered the training room. But soon, it rolled out to be something different, irrelevant and hence boring for me. Then I just thought, how did I survive for the rest of the training hours all the year. And I got my answer – Computer. Almost all the trainings had we using the computers and that is the sole reason, why I wasn’t bored.

I mean, we IT people are so habituated to seeing a computer all the time, the very moment when we don’t see it, makes us feel sick. The same way is with outlook. I don’t know why, but I have an unusual connection with my exchange server. The day I leave on Friday to the morning hours on Monday – I am complete dumbstruck. I don’t know what’s happening, I have no clue what I am supposed to do in the coming week, I don’t remember any birthdays or anniversaries, because for all these days, I am away from my outlook which is apparently me, a reflection of me. I am so obsessive about computers that even when I am home, I sit in front of this intelligent box doing nothing. Well, doing nothing means, doing no work. I just enjoy some movies or Seinfeld or some documentaries. But I make it sure that I am doing something which utilizes my mean machines memory. Such is the attraction.

Coming back to the session, sitting idle in a classroom like training room, with a boring (NOM, as he was just doing his job) trainer and NO COMPUTER in front of you, can make you a bit crazy and a lot more weird and restless. I tried to concentrate and add on to the session, but within minutes my enthusiasm saw a deep trench in the graph and I gave up. You see, I do give up things easily. Probably that’s my weakest point. I had to kill my time, so I started writing this blog. Yes, I actually scribbled this blog in my notepad and it had to wait till today to appear on my blog page. And not only this, I also composed yet another blog – Jashn 2009 (a blog about the annual event of Capgemini).

I owe a lot to this weird habit and addiction towards computers – my blogs, my fan following at social networking sites(which does not exist now), a lot of experiments on my home system, my website and my health :P. I am a happy man when I am in front of this chipset device.

Thanks to Charles Babbage (or whoever?) for inventing a computer. I don’t think I, or for that matter anyone, can do much without it :-)

Happy computing.

2 comments:

  1. Of all the things.. even the annual event in our firm is "Jashn 2009"...lolzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I think that is the common name for all the corporate events in Mumbai then .... :-)

    ReplyDelete