Thursday, December 31, 2009

Adieu 2009

Hi Friends,

This is an official goodbye to the year just gone by, not only from the calendars but also from the hearts, minds and memories of many of us.

2009 (MMIX) had many important events and stories that took by all of us worldwide. In January, Barack Obama was inaugurated as the first African-American president of the United States. In March, Sri Lankan cricketers were attacked by few gunmen in Pakistan which led to the banning of Pakistan from hosting any ICC events. In June, Air France Flight en route from Rio de Janeiro to Paris crashed into Atlantic ocean killing all 228 on board. Also, the outbreak of the H1N1 influenza strain, commonly referred to as ‘swine flu’, was deemed as a global pandemic infecting more than 10 lakh people with a mortality rate of over 10%. Then, on 25th June, the king of pop Michael Jackson died due to cardiac arrest and his funeral had a record breaking audience close to 35 million people and so on.

This year was also seen as the year of economic recession. With giant firms like Lehmann Brothers and many others collapsing and still many who filed for bankruptcy. This was the year when Sachin Tendulkar completed 30, 000 runs in International cricket. This was the year when Tiger Woods announced an indefinite leave from professional golf to focus on his marriage after his past infidelities came to light. And many other things.

Personally, I did not like the way this year went by for me. But, some of the toughest and the biggest decisions of my life were made in this year. I quit my first job (Infosys Technologies Ltd.) to join Capgemini Consulting India Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai; a switch which I actually did not dream of, but never the less it happened. I booked a flat in Mumbai which I consider as a naïve decision of investing a huge amount at the age of 24. My blogs came to life again in 2009. And I hope, it goes on and on with many transformations.

There were many promises made, most of them taken care of, some of them forgotten. There were many commitments made, professional as well as personal. There were new things learnt from Microsoft technologies to blogging skills to some inadvertent matter.  There were many new hobbies grown and pursued, new friends made, old friends re-touched, old bonds revamped, mistakes forgotten and worked over. It was a year which took off life from me in terms of efforts and dreams. It was a year which taught me to the core about deepest aspects of life and relationships. This was the year which gained/lost self-confidence for me.

All in all, a year full of events, which at times demystified me and sometimes depressed me. I bow my deepest gratitude to this year for whatever good or bad it has given to me and my loved ones and pray for the new year to be more fruitful and pleasant for all of us.

Happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment