Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sentimental fools!

I have always thought and disliked the fact that Indians are such sentimental fools at times. But then I realized that I am no different than such people.

I was just returning from a movie on my bike and suddenly I was so attracted to my bike. Having rode it for almost 7 years now, I sometime tend to ignore its condition, but today I realized that it has stood beside me for all these years whenever I needed it. And I did not give my 100% to it.

There were times when I needed to reach a place within no time and during the wee hours. There were times, when I was late for my engineering exams, there were times it was a medical urgency, there were times it was a friendly request, and it was only my bike that helped me to achieve my goals. Racing with friends in Mumbai, wheelies on the straight and quiet roads of Pune, skidding and dribbing during midnights on the lonely weekends, trips to Marine Drive and Sinhgad during the early skies, long drives on the Satara road with just 3/4th and sneakers, night drives to Siddhivinayak temple, I had it a lot. And while writing this blog, I understand we Indians are really sentimental, possessive about our things; may be it our cell phones, cars, bikes, bicycles, our office desks, our laptops, our iPods. And nothing is wrong about it.

I was possessive about my working place too when I was in Infy. I sat on the same chair, in the same cubicle for more than 2 years. At times, I was more than bored. I always thought that it is more than 2 year I climbed the same stairs, came in the same cubicle and sat on the same machine. People around me changed, their projects changed. But I remained stuck to my place, only to realize when I was about to quit Infy, that my place was my face, meri pehchaan. During a small speech on my last day in Infosys, I was more than proud not to forget to mention that, people came, people went, their places changed almost once in 2 months, but I sat at the same place for 2 years. I felt I have achieved a herculean goal. I was a man of pride at that time.

We sometimes tend to be so simple and stupid in life, but then too it feels good. It is like, nothing is wrong in it. And then I smile to myself, Indians are real sentimental fools, and I love to be one J

2 comments:

  1. Tulasi4:19 AM

    Hey Sagar,
    Unlike you i had to move into many cubes in just a year's time..Even though i dont talk much or can't mingle easily with people around me, i feel i miss my previous cubmates badly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sagar this post is really very good this reminded me of my days in HCL yar..... I to gave the same speech of sitting in same place for 2.4 yrs in my farewell party....
    :)--- Shafali

    ReplyDelete